Monday, September 17, 2007

"How's he gonna get outta there??"

hehe!! I just remembered a time last school year, when Kori was just a few weeks away from giving birth... One of the Special Day Class students (a REALLY cute kid) came up to her while we were out on the playground and asked, "What's in there?" (pointing to her belly). When she said it was a baby, he responded with, "No, what KIND of baby?" It took a minute, but we realized that he wanted to know if the baby was a boy or a girl. So, Kori told him it was a boy. He seemed satisfied, and walked off. A few minutes later, he returned to ask, "How's he gonna get outta there? Your mouth or your butt?" I just about choked! Kori was at a loss for words, and I finally said something to the effect of, "Oh, he's a pretty big baby, she might need to have surgery to get him out." He walked off, mumbling, "Yeah, they'll need to do surgery..." under his breath. That still cracks me up! I loved that kid!

Anyway... tomorrow, I will have completed 36 weeks!!! I can't even describe how quickly the time has flown by. It seems to be speeding up, too, which is really frightening! Being back at work now, I have so many responsibilities and things that need to get done. On top of my regular duties (which are many), I have to get everything ready to have a substitute teach my class for nearly three months. I have already written up an entire book for her (36 typed pages with a table of contents, no joke!!), and I keep thinking of things to add. I probably wouldn't be nearly as anal about things if I didn't already know that I would be coming back on January 6th and teaching this group for the rest of the year. It would be so nice to be one of those teachers who gets to stay out for the rest of the year or (better yet!) become a full-time stay-at-home mom, but that's just not in the cards. It almost makes me want to pull up all our California roots and move someplace with a lower cost of living, but I don't see that happening. At least, not anytime soon!

But yes... There is going to be a baby here, and soon!!!!! Kori had her baby at 38 weeks. I don't really see our little guy arriving early, but even so... The absolute latest he could be here is 5 or 6 weeks from now, and he'll most likely arrive before then. My due date is exactly one month from yesterday! I'm starting to get scared, though, about how he's "gonna get outta there." That sounds, like, really painful! And an epidural isn't even an option until you dilate at least 4 centimeters. But it's inevitable that he has to come out sometime, and the great thing about it is that- hey!- we're going to have a baby when it's all said and done! :) I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE HIM!!!!! What do you think he'll look like? Any predictions????? :)

No comments: