Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Hmm...

A few weeks ago, I got a notice at work saying that my TB test results were about to expire, and that I needed to have a new test done by the end of September or the district would put a hold on my paycheck. As a teacher, I have to do this every few years, but I hadn't realized that this was the year! No big deal, though, right? I called my regular doctor's office (not my Ob/Gyn) to schedule an appointment, and told them I was almost 34 weeks pregnant. My doctor said it was not a problem, and I arranged to go in and get the shot this afternoon. My appointment, however, was with a different doctor, since mine left to go on vacation.

After sitting in an examination room for nearly 45 minutes, with occasional visits from this one nurse (who sometimes works in Ob/Gyn), I was starting to get really annoyed. It should have been a really quick visit-- just jab me in the arm and be done with it! But the doctor finally came in, and he said that he didn't feel comfortable giving me the injection since the chemical was a Category C drug (no studies have been done on pregnant women to see if it has adverse results). He ended up writing me a note, saying that I'd have to wait until after the pregnancy, but I couldn't help but feel a little confused!

When Kori was pretty far along in her pregnancy, her doctor MADE her take a TB test as a prerequisite for being in the hospital. It was not even an option! So I am really confused. But whatever... I just hope that my school district will accept the note and NOT put a hold on my paycheck this month!! hmmm...

No comments: