Friday, February 23, 2007

Wheat Germ + Cookies = Tasty Treat??

Don't laugh at me, these cookies are pretty good! One thing I've been having trouble with lately is getting enough whole grains in my diet-- I'm supposed to be having 6 servings a day! The problem is that they fill me up so quickly. I thought I had discovered a magic bullet when I read that only 2 tablespoons of wheat germ make up one serving. I mean, how hard could it be to eat just 2 tablespoons? I planned on sprinkling the wheat germ on top of my bran flakes in the morning. I figured that they were both wheat products, so I probably wouldn't even notice the taste. Gus laughed at me, and now I know why! Raw wheat germ has a really strong flavor-- and it's nasty!! So I was stuck with a whole lot of wheat germ and no way of eating it. Anyway, I made these cookies yesterday, and they are actually tasty! I plan on eating 2 a day to count as one serving of whole grains (plus a serving of fat). I figure that if I post the recipe on here, I won't lose it! :)


Wheat Germ Cookies

  • 2 c. whole wheat flour
  • 1 c. raw wheat germ
  • 1 c. butter (I substituted Smart Balance for half of this)
  • 3/4 c. sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 t. grated orange peel
  • 1 t. vanilla
  • 1/2 t. sea salt
  • 3/4 c. raw wheat germ (reserved)


Combine all ingredients except for the 3/4 c. wheat germ. Chill dough in refrigerator for at least one hour. Roll dough into 1" balls and coat with reserved wheat germ. Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes.




No comments: