Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Wake-Up Call

My Aunt Dana called last night, which was a surprise! I hadn't spoken with her in months. It was fun to hear how my cousin, Nathaniel, is growing into a real little person (he's 2 years old). It sounds like he's quite a character! Anyhow, the main reason she called was to invite Gus and I to join her (and hopefully the rest of my dad's family) on a trip to Kauai in July. She and her family were already planning to go for two weeks, but thought it might be nice if my grandma and the rest of the family came along, too (for those of you that don't know, my grandpa died a few weeks ago. So this is part of an effort to spend quality time with grandma.). It sounded great! I told her I'd run it by Gus, but in the back of my mind I was so excited by the possibility of getting to lounge on the beaches in Kauai for a week or two!

But then reality set in, with a little help from Gus (the voice of reason). By the time of the trip, I will be 27 weeks pregnant! I would probably be very uncomfortable sitting in the sun, not to mention wearing a swimsuit. Gus also brought up the excellent point that we would be better off spending the same money (probably at least $2500) on items for the baby, or even the new car I want to buy. So, long story short: No trip to Kauai this summer. It's too bad, because I'm sure it'll be a blast, but the fact is that we are going to be parents! And that's more important than anything in the world, including Hawaiian vacations. Of course, I can't tell Dana any of this, since she doesn't know I'm pregnant yet. None of my extended family members know, because we want to wait until the first trimester ends and the risk of miscarriage drops significantly. I can't wait to tell!

P.S. We will be telling Gus' parents on his mom's birthday, March 9th. Check out the bib I designed to tell her the news! We both think she'll love it! :)
Click here to see it!

No comments: