Sunday, December 14, 2014

A Weekend of Holiday Fun!

Brace yourself-- picture time!

We had a jam-packed weekend. TOO jam-packed... I will fully admit that I am tired and cranky! Everything was back-to-back-to-back. And I'm more of an introvert to begin with, so I just feel really drained. Is it weird that I'm looking forward to tomorrow morning for just a little bit of alone time??

Anyway... We kicked off our weekend with a Bingo Night and Holiday Shop event at the kids' school. That's always fun... NOT! Niko never wins, and he gets very bitter (and vocal) about it. It didn't help that Maya actually won once this time and got to choose a prize. She selected a Webkinz frog that she promptly named Hermit. Yes, Hermit the Frog. NOT Kermit. Hermit. haha! Niko was really upset, but Maya quickly pointed out that he was Hermit's uncle. She even let Niko sleep with Hermit in his bed last night. So he's gotten over it alright, it seems. The kids also shopped for me and Gus, and we actually opened our gifts this morning-- a "#1 Dad" back scratcher for Gus ("He's gonna think it's a little rake! But it's a BACK SCRATCHER!" -Maya) and a lovely bracelet Niko picked out for me.

So Friday was a later-than-usual night for the kids, and then Niko had basketball at 9am on Saturday. We made it. He did great, although he DID call a drinking fountain a "bubbler," causing me to crack up. He's becoming a Massachusetts kid!
Practice ended at 10am, which was also the time that the Christmas event at our local hardware store began. So we zipped home, changed, and drove over. Our neighbors (Gus' coworker and his family) were there, so we sat with them. The kids all made these sock snowmen that were really cute. And then SANTA CAME! Niko is convinced that THIS Santa is the real deal. He brought them presents, of course, and they got lots of opportunities to sit with and talk to him. :)
After that, it was time for lunch, and a long-overdue shower for me (sorry, world!). And then back out to the Cub Scout holiday pack meeting. They handed our awards, then we all sang Christmas carols together:
Then all the scouts got to decorate (and eat) cookies. Many, many cookies!
And then Santa came!! He delivered their Pinewood Derby kits!
When the meeting was over, most people chose to go Christmas caroling in a neighborhood nearby. There is a family there who used to be very involved in the pack, but the dad has cancer and is very, very sick. His wife, actually, is Maya's Daisy troop leader. But the plan was to carol at his house specifically, which we did. And the family seemed to like it, though it was heartbreaking to see someone so sick, and know that his youngest is the same age as Maya. :(

Anyway, after that, we went home and had dinner... then I left again! I went out with my friend Caryn and a few of her other close friends to celebrate her college graduation! She didn't make it through the first time, so she started taking classes again two years ago. With kids and everything. And she DID it! I am so proud of her (and me, too, for helping to edit all her papers, hehe!).

Fast forward to this morning... We were up and out of the house before lunchtime to make gingerbread houses at Caryn's house. When we first moved here, this was our very first playdate-- less than a week after we arrived! It's become an annual tradition. (Check out 2011, 2012, and 2013) The kids did awesome, though. They are all getting so big that very little direction is needed. So us moms mostly sat around talking and drinking mimosas. It wasn't bad!


At around 2, though, I had to gather the kids up and head home. Because I had a cookie swap at Miranda's house at 3, which ended up being a lot of fun (with some really great cookies!)! I got home just before dinner and was ready to collapse. Thank goodness Gus cooked dinner tonight, because I was just wiped out. And really cranky. I think I'm just partied out. And I am stressed, thinking about all the packing I need to do over the next week. Because California will be here before we know it, and we already have so many obligations when we are there--and so many things we need to remember to pack! But it will be done. I just need a good night's sleep first. :)

No comments: