Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Vacations within vacations...

Gus and I spent the last few days all by ourselves in lovely Del Mar, while the kids stayed with his parents. It was a win-win situation for everyone: he and I got to spend time together, which hasn't happened in forever (especially since he travels so often), and the kids got to spend quality time with their yiayia and papou (and theia, too). And, as anticipated, a great time was had by all!

They didn't go out and about a whole lot while we were gone, choosing instead to stay home and play there. But they did go to the zoo yesterday! Here are just a few pictures that I emailed myself from their phones. I think it's safe to say that they had fun!
Meanwhile... Gus and I drove about an hour away down to gorgeous Del Mar. Our hotel was literally ON the beach. GORGEOUS! The very first thing we did was go for a walk on the sand. Perfect!
Then we went for dinner at one of our favorite restaurants, just a short walk from the hotel. Actually, we have celebrated our anniversary at this restaurant almost every year since we got married. Not this past year, obviously, since we moved across the country. But we chose to pretend it was our anniversary. We even shared some hula pie, just like we did on our honeymoon in Maui (when we went to another restaurant owned by the same company, with a similar menu). And yes, I took a picture of it. It was DELICIOUS! I just about exploded from all the good food, but it was worth it!
The next day, we decided to do something we rarely ever get to do: go see movies! We stopped and got a quick bite at Starbucks, and then went to see the new Twilight movie (which we both enjoyed more than we thought we would). Then we had lunch at In-N-Out. Soooooo gooooood! My tummy was very happy. I missed this!
After that, we went to see the new James Bond movie. I liked it, and Gus thought it dragged a bit. I can sort of see that, but I still enjoyed it. And let me tell you, it felt really luxurious to see two movies in the theater in the same day! That's about what we usually see in an entire year!

We drove back to the hotel just in time to watch the sun set. Gorgeous!
We sat on the deck and watched it sink below the horizon. The lady sitting by us had a glass of wine and a book. If we ever go back there, that will be me! It was a perfect spot to just sit and relax!

Later on, we went out to dinner, this time at a much more casual place. It was a lot of fun, though, and the food was great. And we got back just in time to watch The Amazing Race-- one of the few shows I actually follow! Whew!

This morning, we checked out, drove back to Gus' parents' house, ate lunch, and headed off to my parents' house for a few days. The fun continues!

No comments: