Thursday, November 29, 2012

The Long Road Home

Wow. Yesterday was a really long day. I get tired just thinking about it!

Gus and I (and Gus' mom) were up at 4:30am to get ready and load the car. We woke the kids up, and were on the road by 5. We got to the airport in Long Beach a little bit before 6am, and were finally able to breathe once the bags were checked. The kids were so sleepy that they weren't much help. Carrying them in addition to all the luggage? Not so much fun! But we made it, and had a little time to relax before our flight left a little bit after 7.

But wait! There's more! We didn't have a direct flight coming back, so we had to fly to San Francisco first. That's only a one-hour flight, so it went by very quickly and without incident. Once we got off the plane at SFO, we started looking for the gate for our next flight... only to find that it was the very same gate we had just come out of. So... we saw very little of the airport! We were there for about two and a half hours. Everyone used the bathroom at some point, and the kids were highly entertained by the moving walkway (which I used as an opportunity to run them around a bit). Maya and I talked to another mom and her six-month-old baby girl, who Maya was infatuated with. It went by pretty quickly.

Then we got on the plane. The kids did great! About an hour into the flight, they both conked out...
Nikos slept for an hour, and Maya for closer to two. It was very peaceful. I watched a marathon of the show "Moonshiners" on the Discovery Channel (and kept watching it with one earbud in, even when she was awake). I had never heard of it before, but now I am sort of hooked. haha! I wonder what that stuff tastes like? Those guys sure get a lot of money for it!

We got into Boston right on time, and made our way down to the baggage claim. Gus was looking at his watch, and hoping our luggage would come out quickly so we could make the next bus. While we waited for the carousel to start moving, we asked the kids if they needed to use the bathroom. Nikos said yes, so he went. Maya didn't have to go. This all becomes relevant, trust me!

By some miracle, all three of our checked bags came out within the first few minutes. Hallelujah! We hauled booty over to the bus stop, where we learned that the bus hadn't come yet. Perfect! We were all set. And then... Maya had to go potty. Nooooooo!! I ran (literally. As fast as I could.) with her to the nearest bathroom, and ran back. I was sweating. And, of course, we missed the bus. Of course! I would like to say that it was no big deal, but I was tired. And MAD. But... we had no choice. We waited half an hour for the next one. It arrived a little after 8:30pm. I couldn't wait to get back to the bus station, get into our car, and go HOME!

The ride back to the station was uneventful. We got there, paid for our parking, and Gus went to pull the car up closer to the building (it was below freezing outside). Aaaand... the car wouldn't start. It was a combination of sitting for two weeks, combined with the cold temperatures. It just needed a jump start, but that meant waiting for a tow truck for 40 minutes. But it worked. We finally got home at 11pm. The kids went straight to bed, and I followed as soon as my body would let me. Longest day EVER!!!!

This morning, I didn't know what to expect. But both kids were up and eating breakfast by 7:30. I had a ton of errands to run (like getting groceries), and was really hoping they would be able to make it to preschool. And they did! Not only that, but it was warm enough outside that they got to play on the snow-covered playground. Which is pretty awesome when you're a kid! This was the scene when I went to pick them up (Maya is on the far right in the background). Proof that Nikos had a blast-- and that we are DEFINITELY not in California anymore, haha!

No comments: