Sunday, October 30, 2011

Life, in Boxes

So now that Nikos' birthday (and birthday party) are over and done with, the packing has has really gotten underway. We had thought we were going to close on the new house yesterday morning, but it ended up getting delayed because of one document that wasn't ready. Still, we are set to close early this week-- *knock on wood!* I would say "Monday," but the long-distance factor and the need to overnight documents adds a few days. Still! The movers are scheduled to come on November 12th. Exactly two weeks from today. So, yeah... It's time to pack. Big time.

Of course, just when things are at their craziest... Gus is gone on business. He's home now, but he will be gone again soon. So the bulk of the packing burden is on me. Add to this the fact that I am still working, and need to get report cards done, and I am STRESSED!! Thankfully, my parents came down today. My dad played with the kids and kept them busy while my mom helped me pack. And we got a LOT done! As of this evening, I have officially packed 92 boxes. NINETY-TWO. No joke. And every single one is labeled with our name, phone number, and destination floor/room. Each label has a number that corresponds to my Excel spreadsheet, where I have listed the contents of each box. Yup, I'm anal. But I am going to love myself for doing this when it's time to unpack. So, there ya go.

Just for fun... Here's the ever-growing stack of boxes along the back wall of our dining area. This is the main staging area, but there are several others, too.

And my helpers, of course! Who both have colds right now (of course!). Please, universe, don't let me catch what they have-- I just can't afford to be sick right now!

And that's that. It's amazing how much stuff one can acquire in 6.5 years of living in one place. I've already put together one big donation for the Salvation Army, and I am working on my second stack. So. Much. Stuff!

1 comment:

Alayna said...

Happy belated birthday to Nikos!! And, I am so impressed with your packing! Sounds like you have a great start on what needs to happen. Will send you all good packing and moving thoughts :)