Sunday, October 10, 2010

Productivity!

You know, I was pretty productive before we had kids. I mean, I single-handedly painted most of our house, refinished all our kitchen cabinets, built our kitchen island, built our rose garden, installed drip irrigation, etc. That being said... having kids has changed things in this area. Instead of Gus and I working full-force on different home improvement projects, it tends to be him doing most of the projects, every now and then when time allows for it, while I hang out with the kiddos. And it's not bad, just different!

This weekend, however, the kids went to go and spend some time with Gus' parents. We decided to focus on some projects that have gone unfinished for too long, and it is just CRAZY how much we got done! Before kids, I don't think we would have gotten this much done, because there wouldn't have been a deadline. But all weekend long, we pretty much only stopped to shovel food into our mouths and refuel.

So, without further ado, here's a list of what we accomplished! I would include photos, but that will have to wait. It's too dark, and I'm too tired!

-We installed crown moulding in the ENTIRE HOUSE (this was what Gus spent most of his time on... I just helped him hold it in place when it was time to nail it up. This stuff has sat in our garage for years!!)
-I caulked all the crown moulding and baseboards and filled in all the nail holes
-I cleaned out/organized all the kitchen cabinets/drawers and Nikos' closet
-I replaced most of the old outlets/switches with new ones, so now they will match.
-I installed a new doorknob on the hallway bathroom door (so now it matches the others)
-I caulked the wood paneling in the hall bath, making the whole thing look much, much nicer (there were holes/gaps in it before).
-I installed a shelf above the refrigerator
-I replaced the batteries in the smoke/carbon monoxide detector (that picked an excellent weekend to die, when the kids wouldn't be freaked out by its squawking!)
-I put up a wire across the wall in Nikos' room to display some of his artwork.
-I removed the vertical blinds above our sliding glass door, then spackled/painted over the screw holes
-I walked around touching up the wall paint

Anyhow... it looks GREAT in here!!! There are still a few things that need to be done, but the bulk of it is out of the way. The house looks so much more polished than it did before! I love it!!!!!

Of course, I DO miss my babies. While they may hamper my home improvement productivity level, they are so totally worth it. I can't wait for them to come home on Tuesday and see the changes we've made!

No comments: