Thursday, October 7, 2010

Depressing Day

Without going into too much detail (simply because it's probably boring to the rest of the world), today was kind of a downer. For one, it was rainy and dreary. Normally I would have enjoyed the change, but it just kind of emphasized all the other bad things that happened. My students were in fine form (well, one in particular), and let's just say I was really, truly DONE once the bell rang for the day. Add to that a dysfunctional computer that sucked up most of my planning/prep time, and a late meeting that I had to attend, and I was just in a really rotten mood when I got home.

Then I got online and logged into my mommy message board. I have mentioned this group before, but these girls have really become my friends over the past few years. I have met many of them in person, and just adore them. Anyhow, one of the mommies, Lacey, has two little girls named Jillian and Aubrey. Jillian is 3, and Aubrey is 14 months... They are almost the same ages as Nikos and Maya. Not even two months ago, Lacey found out that Aubrey had leukemia, and she underwent her first round of chemotherapy. While this treatment is effective for 95% of young leukemia patients, Aubrey wasn't so lucky. She went through a different, more aggressive treatment... and it didn't work, either. And somehow, in the process, she developed what appears to be an infection in her brain, and was put into the intensive care unit today.

Anyway, it just makes me want to cry. I can't even imagine someone Maya's age (or younger!) battling this horrible disease. It seems so incredibly unfair! Fortunately, a lot of my friends are working together to raise money for the family (to help cover hospital bills) and help send them things to make life easier while they are spending so much time in the hospital (meals, toys and books for both girls, etc.). If anyone wants to help, you can check out their Facebook page. My friend Jesi is also hosting an online Tastefully Simple party (host name: Aubrey Deno) where 100% of the proceeds and hostess gifts will be sent to Aubrey's family. I placed an order tonight. Nobody should EVER have to go through this-- EVER!

Hopefully, tomorrow will be a better day... and Aubrey will be out of the ICU. Fingers crossed!!

No comments: