Friday, October 15, 2010

Odds & Ends

In the interest of staying on top of things, I figured I had better post! So many things happen on a daily basis where I think, "Oh, I should TOTALLY write about that!" But by the time the kids go to bed and I finish up whatever else I happen to be working on, I have very little energy lately for blogging. And it's so sad, because I LOVE blogging. LOVE it! It's so therapeutic, and I just adore being able to go back and see how my babies have grown!

That being said, work has been pretty intense lately. I have a huge class this year, and a huge group of students with learning disabilities and/or behavior issues. Today, I had a student call me a word which should not be repeated on here. But let's just say I have never had a student dare to call me anything so bad before, and was really shocked. I'm sure that was the intent, and this particular student has a pretty notorious track record, but it stung nonetheless. It was not fun.

And so, in times like this, I find so much joy in being a mom to my own wonderful kids. :)

Maya, sadly, is covered with spots. It's not any of the obvious things (roseola, hand, foot and mouth, etc), and it's definitely not chicken pox. Our pediatrician thinks it's just some sort of viral rash. Maya is officially our Rashy Child, I've decided. While Nikos is much more prone to respiratory illnesses, our baby girl tends to have more sensitive skin. She is as happy as can be, and not acting sick in the slightest, but she is covered in these spots. Here are a few pictures I took this evening... You can see her spots best in the first one. And the second one shows just how happy she is, playing Peek-A-Boo in her highchair at dinner time!



For his part, Nikos continues to amuse us with his ever-expanding vocabulary and fantastic sense of humor. He has recently decided to assign numerical values to his love for us all. For example, if I ask him how much he loves me, he might answer with, "I love you FIVE!" or "I love you THREE!" Five seems to be the max, since he also accompanies this proclamation with a display of fingers. It cracks us up to ask him how much he loves the cat, the fish, etc. He really thinks about it, then assigns a number. It generally seems to match up, too, with the humans in his family getting higher numbers than the pets. Whew!

He has also started to get excited about his upcoming birthday, though we have had some disagreements. For one, he does NOT want people to sing "Happy Birthday" to him. He has, however, decided that we can sing the ABC song instead. He also argues with me when I tell him how many days are left. Today, I told him that there were only 11 more days left until his birthday, to which he replied, "NO! No, Mommy, my birthday is OCTOBER TWENTY-FIFTH! NOT ELEVEN!!" haha! He is also insistent that he gets a "farm animal cake," and wanted it to be "animal-flavor" for the longest time. Now, he wants vanilla, which should be much easier. Still, he makes me laugh every single day.

One more prime example... Last night, we watched the final miners get pulled out of the San Jose mine in Chile. It was mostly for me, since I was riveted by the entire thing, but Nikos had a lot of questions. In the end, I told him that these guys were trapped in the cave, and that they needed to ride in the little elevator so they could see their families again because they missed them a lot. When Gus came home last night (late), Nikos was eager to recap the entire event. He started to tell Gus about the men being trapped in the cave, but the story took a drastic turn when a robot flew in to rescue the men (complete with sound effects). Yes, Nikos was holding a Transformer toy at the time. It was HILARIOUS!! His little imagination just took off, and he spun this elaborate yarn for Gus that cracked us up. Love that kid!

Anyway, both kids (the spotted one and the non-spotted one) are just so darn lovable these days. We are so lucky!! :)

No comments: