Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Clapping, Cuddles, and Communication

Our little guy seems to be going through a developmental "growth spurt" lately, and it's been so much fun! For one, he finally started clapping. He'd been pointing and waving for months, but would never clap (even if I put his hands together and showed him). All of a sudden, he started doing it! He thinks it's HILARIOUS, too, and gets the biggest smile and giggles while he's doing it. I've been trying to get a video, but no luck so far. I think I might just die from the cuteness!

In the past few weeks, Nikos has also started giving "hugs"-- or his version of them, anyway. I'll be sitting on the floor in the living room, watching him play, and he'll come crawling over to me at full speed, pull up on me, spread his arms out wide and rest his head on my belly or wherever. And before you know it, he's off playing again. It's like he just needs to check in with me and give me some love before he goes to play some more. It is just the sweetest thing!

Finally, I'm realizing that he understands much more than I thought. Last night, he drank about half of his bottle and then abandoned it for some toys. I said, "Hey, drink your bottle!" He turned around, crawled back over to his bottle, and chugged it. Is he a good boy or what??? :) We won't mention the spectacular tantrum he threw about an hour later. Oh no, we won't mention that at all. But while we're on the topic... Gus and I are attempting to ignore the tantrum and redirect him to his toys, and it seems to work most of the time. The tantrums are getting shorter and less frequent... Let's hope the trend continues before I lose my mind!

And, lest my second child reads this in the future and thinks I have forgotten about them... I think I am feeling the baby move!! A couple of times now, in the evening, I have felt those familiar movements in my belly. It should become more obvious in the next month or so, but it's so cool! I don't think it ever gets any less amazing... I can't believe that there's another little person in there!!

No comments: