Monday, October 13, 2008

*Meet the Peanut!

I had my first doctor's appointment today, and was surprised to get an ultrasound! If you'll remember back to my first appointment with Nikos, I was sorely disappointed to NOT get one. The letter that the office sends out clearly states that there is an ultrasound at the first visit (to date the pregnancy), but the Nurse Practitioner I saw that day assured me that I was incorrect and made me feel like a huge idiot. She was actually a substitute for my REAL N.P., who had just broken her arm and was out of commission for a while. In talking with her (the real Nurse Practitioner) today, she told me that her substitute had been unfamiliar with the old ultrasound machine that they use, and had avoided doing the ultrasounds for the first three or four days when she was substituting. And of course, with my luck, my appointment fell during those first few days. I ended up getting an ultrasound at the second appointment, but was still baffled (and irritated) by the letter I had gotten from the office. It just didn't make sense!

Anyway... I went to the appointment today thinking that it would be no big deal-- we'd go over my medical history and I'd pee in a cup, just like last time. Gus had today off from work (Columbus Day), and my parents had come down to help him work on various projects around the house. Since we didn't expect any excitement at the appointment, Gus stayed home with my dad and kept working, while my mom decided to tag along with me to the appointment. And then I was floored when the N.P. told me I'd be having an ultrasound. Before I knew it, I was staring at this little gummy bear on the screen, flapping its nubby little arms and legs and twisting around!

It was so awesome, seeing this little peanut and knowing that it's real!! The nurse said my due date is definitely May 11th, and that I'm measuring about 10 weeks and 3 days. We saw the heartbeat flickering and everything. After that, I got sent down the hall to do my bloodwork (they had to draw 6 vials' worth, yuck!), and then we headed on home. All in all, a great day, I must say! :)

No comments: