Thursday, July 10, 2008

Babyproofing Brainstorm!

Alright, I will fully admit that I am a little crazy. However, our coffee table has been bothering me for weeks. It's a complete death trap, once Nikos becomes more mobile and can pull up on it-- there are so many sharp edges/corners that he could crack his head open on! Exhibit A:

So I thought about it. I really wanted to replace it with an ottoman, preferably something with storage. Our couches are brown leather, so we could get a matching ottoman... but that would be a LOT of brown, considering our entertainment center is pretty much the same color, too. Then I had a brainstorm: a RED ottoman! We already have little accents of red in the room, so it would look cool! But I went searching for one online, and didn't see anything I liked. So then I thought: Why don't we just buy an old junky ottoman and re-upholster it ourselves with some nice fabric? We could get really great fabric, maybe with reds, browns, and tans in it! But wait... Then Gus said, "Why don't we just MAKE an ottoman? It's basically just a box, and we could make it out of plywood!" YES!!!!!!!! So that is the plan! Make a box and a separate lid, buy foam padding and upholstery fabric, cover them, and voila! Custom ottoman for our living room! It should actually be very easy, and I am so excited! I drew up plans for the woodwork portion this morning:

Hooray! I am so excited!!! I'm not sure when Gus will have time to make it, since we're totally booked for the next two weekends, but I think it will be great. We already have a lot of the wood, even. I can't wait to go and look at fabric! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

FUN PROJECT!! Can't wait to see it!