Saturday, February 5, 2011

Representational Art!

I was completely floored this morning. Nikos, who has always been a scribbler, held up his Magnadoodle and showed me this:

Now, he occasionally makes "scribbles with heads" that he says are various people ("This is Daddy," etc.), but I have NEVER seen him draw something so easily identifiable as what he had on the Magnadoodle. So, after snapping a quick photo, I asked him to do it again. This time, we got more detail:

It's a little harder to decipher, but the big circles are eyes, and the smaller blobs up above them are eyebrows. He also added a nose, mouth, ears, hair on top, "and a chin!" I couldn't believe it! He literally went from scribbling to representational art overnight. INSANE!

Here's the kicker, though... He drew a bunch of faces, and got annoyed with me constantly taking photos of them, so I laid off. I let him do his thing for a bit. Then I walked over and looked at what he was drawing. This is what he was working on. He drew the entire thing this way-- he did NOT turn the Magnadoodle around after finishing. And when I asked him what it was, he said it was "an upside-down guy!"

Oh my gosh. Seriously, I am impressed. It takes a lot of spatial awareness to be able to flip it in his mind and then draw it that way. The kid is a genius!

And speaking of baby geniuses, I certainly can't leave Genius #2 out... She went to get her pacifiers today, and counted them out... "One, two, tee! Tee pacis!" Eeek!

No comments: