Thursday, February 10, 2011

3,000 Miles Away

Actually, I just checked it, and it's 3,014 miles. I'm shocked at how close my guess was, haha!

Anyway... it's really tough to plan a new life that is so far away. I thought of this tonight when it suddenly hit me that preschool deadlines for the 2011-2012 school year were rapidly approaching for many programs. I definitely want to get Nikos into at least a twice-a-week program, and I will be the first to admit that I panicked a little! My panic was alleviated when I realized that, because of his October birthday, he still has two more years before he will start kindergarten... but still! I started researching preschools in the area we will most likely be moving to, and found a few programs that look promising. One is a mere 7 minutes from our potential home, and the other is about 15 minutes, but is run by the (top-notch) public school district. Both seem very affordable, too. So, we will see. We might end up taking a risk and putting down a deposit, just to hold a spot, but I am waiting to hear back from several places. In a perfect world, I would be able to talk to my local mommy friends, get feedback on the best places, and check them out for myself. Instead, I am just going to have to do my best from across the country, and hope that I make the right choice. Nothing is permanent, after all-- I could probably switch preschools, if necessary. And I DO actually know a few local moms through my online parenting forum, which is really handy. So, like I said, we will see!

Speaking of the school district, though... I am really impressed with what I know about it so far! Based on test scores alone, it ranks in the top 10% of all school districts. It's made up of 12 schools (K-12), and the ones in our potential town have a student-to-teacher ration of about 13:1. That is INSANE, especially compared to most schools in California (I have 35 students in my 5th grade class, at the moment, and our kindergarten classes all have well over 20 kids each). All the schools have special teachers hired on to teach art, music, and P.E. And the per-student spending is over $2,000 more than my current school district, which is one of the very best ones in California. It's just amazing to compare the two, honestly. California's spending priorities are so messed up! Massachusetts, at least, is fiscally solvent!

Other interesting things I learned today... Our (potential) future town was home to the first library in the county, and it still spends more money per resident every year to update and maintain said library. From what I have heard from my internet mommy friends, it's one of the best libraries around, and has incredible programs for people of all ages. I'm excited to (hopefully) take advantage of these as a stay-at-home mommy! I also learned that the town is known as THE headquarters for Fourth of July festivities every year. They actually host four days of activities, including parades, an endless assortment of contests and cookouts and crafts and, of course, a large fireworks display. People come from miles around to celebrate there. I think it sounds amazing!!!

Anyway, as exciting as it all is, it's all over 3,000 miles away and very inconvenient, at the moment. But Gus and I will be there this weekend! So stay tuned... Lots of (snowy) photos coming soon! :)

No comments: