Saturday, March 21, 2015

World's Shortest Political Career!

Like the sign? I was messing around with the sign designer on the Staples website. :-P

Anyway... It has been a crazy few days! I last posted on Wednesday... that night, I suddenly started getting text messages from a number of people here in town. They were panicking, because there are two School Committee seats open this year, and only two people running... one of whom is the universally-disliked incumbent, while the other is her hand-picked puppet. Not exactly good options, especially when a LOT of things happened in our town last year (a well-liked principal was fired, for one, due to this woman's personal vendetta against her). And the deadline to go and "pull papers" from the Town Clerk's office in order to get on the ballot was 1pm on Thursday. I guess my name started flying around as a potential candidate, and the texts started rolling in. And I thought about it... I started to like the idea. I could do it, and do a good job! So I went to the Town Clerk's office on Thursday morning and got the papers. So did two other people, both of whom are on the same page as me. By bedtime that night, I had collected well over the 33 signatures I needed to get on the ballot. It felt pretty good!

Then, yesterday, I finally heard back from the State Ethics Committee. I had called them to see if it would be a conflict of interest for me to be on the school committee while substitute teaching in the district, since that is my plan next year. Long story made very short: It could be. And there are ways to get around it, but it is very complicated and may not work, and then I would have to quit the school committee (which is a three year term, unpaid). And that's no good.

The other two people who pulled papers on Thursday and myself were planning to meet to figure out which two of us should actually run, since we are all on the same page and we don't want to split the vote... the important thing is to get the incumbent out and make sure her puppet doesn't sneak his way in. But because of the conflict of interest issue, it looks like I am out of the running. Which is honestly a huge relief, because there had already been discussions of fundraising and campaign events and all these things, and my head was spinning. So, 48 hours later, my campaign pretty much died. haha! And I am fine with it! Maybe one day, when I am done teaching, I will go for it. But for now, I will be content to help and will let the other two candidates put giant signs in my highly-visible front yard. :)

And in other news... Corky has laid a third egg. SIGH! haha!

No comments: