Tuesday, March 10, 2015

The Ides of March

Alright, so it's not technically the 15th, but I needed a title and it sounded good. Plus, I likely won't blog before the actual Ides of March, so why not?

Anyway... March is off to a fantastic start! We have had a bunch of days with temperatures above freezing, which is beyond exciting. Our huge piles of snow are beginning to shrink down a bit. The biggest icicles have fallen off of the roof, and you can hear the constant dripping of melting snow and ice from the roof. And we've seen the sun! The days are getting noticeably longer and more comfortable. And I couldn't be happier about it! I am also happy that I toughed it out and kept the back deck clear, because now is the time to sit back there and bask in the warmth while there are still huge piles of snow everywhere else. All that hard work has paid off!

Now, we could still get a snowstorm or two, so we aren't totally in the clear yet. But at this point in the season, the temperatures are much higher, and any snow we get is unlikely to stick around. We made it through February! HALLELUJAH!! That is always the worst winter month here!!

We also made it through our first major winter illness. It was a virus that took us all down one by one-- first Niko, then me, then Maya, then Gus. But we are all feeling a lot better now. The kids still have slightly runny noses, and Gus and I both have lingering coughs, but it looks as though we are going to survive. Everyone is back to school and work and feeling fine. So hooray for that!

Because of the bug in our house, we had to reschedule a playdate that Maya had been really looking forward to for a while. But it finally happened today!! I brought her friend Lily home from school with us, and the two girls had so much fun. I love watching Maya play with her friends! We made pizza, did an art project, went sledding, and the girls played Barbies and board games. It was all very sweet. I took pictures. :)
I made sort of a resolution last month to have playdates for Maya more often. She has been invited over to so many little girl's houses this year, but we need to reciprocate! So I've decided that Tuesdays are good playdate days, since I am in her classroom that day and can just pick up whichever friend is coming with us. Easy peasy.

In other news... Maya is getting all of her six-year molars and is in quite a bit of pain. Poor thing! And Niko announced today that he has a speaking part in the first grade program next week. Something about Amelia Earhart. I can't wait!!!!!

No comments: