Thursday, March 26, 2015

More Animal News and Trip to the Radio Station!

Now that my political career is over (haha!), I can focus on the important things in life. Like, say, taking pictures of chickens. It was sunny a few days ago, and I felt like documenting our feathered friends. So here they are!
I couldn't leave Corky out, either. Oh, and her FOUR eggs. That's right, she laid another. sigh...
Then, a few nights ago, I went to go get my pajamas on after dinner. I looked out of our bedroom window and something caught my eye at the far end of the yard, right at the treeline. I thought it was a rock, but it was different! Upon closer inspection, it was a fox! We see foxes around here a lot, but I had never seen once just laying in our yard like this. So bizarre! I wonder if he will come back again? Good thing the chickens are locked up!
On Tuesday, we went with the Tiger Cubs to visit a local radio station as one of their "go see it" activities. As someone who once wanted to be a radio personality, I thought it was really interesting! The boys even got to be on the air (check it out here!).
When we got back to the house, we were greeted with a very, VERY bad smell. It was absolutely putrid and disgusting! I don't have a particularly strong gag reflex, but I almost tossed my cookies when I got close to Corky's cage. It appeared that one of her four eggs must have cracked at some point and turned rotten. So it was time for them to go! I held her on a perch in the dining room while Gus took the eggs out of her cage and trimmed away the cloth she'd been using as her next (which probably smelled terrible, too). He replaced her eggs with golf balls, which was hilarious (since golf balls are easily twice as big as her actual eggs!). Corky was not impressed. However, by the next morning, she was sitting on one or two of the golf balls at a time. So I guess she is still trying to hatch them! Poor bird. I tried to get a picture of her sitting on her golf balls, but she is not too fond of me...

Finally, in other pet news, today it's Charlie's arbitrary 10th birthday! We don't know exactly when he was born, since he was a stray, but it had to have been around now and it was definitely ten years ago! This furry little booger has actually been a pretty good pet. He drives me crazy sometimes, but he has always been really good with kids and is just sort of a lovable blockhead. Maya insisted that we get him a birthday present (some cheap catnip toys), and then I had the totally crazy idea of attempting a photo shoot. It didn't go so great, but was fun (and funny) nonetheless. Happy Birthday, kitty!!
And that's what's going on around here! Gus and I booked a vacation to celebrate our ten-year anniversary this summer, so we are looking forward to that. And the snow is melting! No complaints! :)

No comments: