Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Swim Lessons

After our trip to Greece, Niko was practically begging for swim lessons. Such a huge attitude shift for our boy. Long story short, he is incredibly stubborn and strong-willed, and we weren't going to spend money on lessons unless he was 100% committed to the idea. But he was suddenly acting a lot less fearful in the water, and we knew it was time! And then, destiny! Our town's recreation department arranged a deal with the sports complex in the next town over, offering very inexpensive lessons just a few minutes away. Perfect! I signed him up right away, and his first lesson was yesterday afternoon!

The pool is indoors, heated, and there are only three people in his class. Such an ideal situation! And Niko did AWESOME! He was wearing a floatie on his back, but it provided very little support-- he had to work hard to keep his head above water. But he did a good job, doing big strokes with his arms and working on his flutter kick. His teacher thinks that he should be swimming without the floatie by the end of the 8 week class. I am so excited!!
Yesterday was also my first time ever waiting in the "pick-up line" at school, since I needed to take Niko straight to his lesson once school got out. That was interesting! I don't know why, but I was really nervous about it! But I got there early, and the whole system is pretty efficient. Niko hopped right in, and we left. And I have to add that our boy is TIRED when he finishes school every day-- it's exhausting! And to go and do swim lessons right afterward? I wasn't sure how it would go. But I loaded him up with a snack on the way, and he did great. Whew!

No comments: