Thursday, September 12, 2013

An update on SCHOOL!

I realize that I haven't posted much about kindergarten since Niko started. And that's for a few reasons. One is that we've been getting into the routine of going to school every day, and dance class, and swim class, and all sorts of other things. We get to add preschool to the mix starting on Monday. It's been an adjustment for me! The other reason is that Niko has been really exhausted from it all-- to the point where we've had some incredibly rough evenings for him. It's a big change for our little guy, and it seems to be getting better... but yeah. There have been times that were downright miserable for all of us.

The good news is that he LOVES school! He got to do gym class for the first time today (they have a rotating specials schedule), and he was so happy! He loves his teacher, and he has already made some good friends. He's not always super forthcoming about what happens at school, but it is always positive. And really, we can't ask for more than that!

Last night was "curriculum night" at his school. After it was over, I just wanted to say hi to his teacher and reintroduce myself. It's really so different from the school I taught at-- the school itself is very "locked down," and there just isn't parent/teacher interaction on a daily basis. I met his teacher at Meet the Teacher day, and again briefly on the first day of school... but that was it! I think she will remember me this time, especially now that she knows Niko better.

Anyway... I introduced myself as Niko's mom, and her face lit up! She told me that he is the sweetest, brightest, most polite little boy, and that she wished she could have an entire class of students just like him. EEK! I was so proud!!!! My baby! I told her I was glad to hear it, since he's been a little difficult at home. She reassured me that it's completely normal-- he spends all his energy being his very best at school, and just falls apart when he gets home. Yup. Luckily, it seems to be getting better. I make sure that he has a snack and some "down time" as soon as he gets home. And we've been pushing bedtime a little earlier, because that's when he really loses it. Tonight was fine. I hope this is the light at the end of the tunnel that I'm seeing!

He doesn't have much homework-- the school doesn't really believe in kindergarten homework, except for working on sight words, the occasional handwriting practice sheet, and (of course) reading together. The handwriting sheets are very interesting. Niko can write, but it's really messy. But what's worse is that he forms his letters all wrong-- often starting at the bottom, etc. The teacher in me has tried to correct him since Day One-- but he's always said that his way is "just fine," or "better," or "faster." We've also had difficulties since he's a lefty, which presents different challenges... However... his homework sheets have the arrows showing exactly how to form the letters, and he is suddenly paying attention! He really wants to do it right. It was so cute to watch him work on his "B" sheet this afternoon:
In other news... I just had to share this story about my girl! We parked next to this sign earlier, while Niko was at school:
Maya pointed at it and said, "Look, Mommy!! Did you know that this place sells FRENCH FRIES?!?" I just giggled and told her that was really cool. But, yeah... those aren't French fries. I love that girl!!

No comments: