Sunday, May 26, 2013

Winter, Redux

After a warm, muggy week, where the rain mostly contained itself to the evenings, everything went wonky yesterday. For one, it rained all day long. I seriously don't think it stopped. Just solid rain, all day. And, as if the rain wasn't enough, the temperatures plummeted! We went from 70 degrees on Friday to 40 degrees yesterday. There was a frost warning here last night, and some places not too far from here actually saw snow! Hello? It is LATE MAY. It will be JUNE in less than a week! And the kids and I were all huddled around the pellet stove getting warm. What's wrong with this picture?

In equally crazy news... we should be back up to 70 tomorrow, and jump into the mid-to-high 80s by the end of the week. Mother Nature has truly lost her mind!

Anyway... Yesterday was a soggy day, as I mentioned. But it was also the first day all week where I didn't have a construction crew at my house. Not that I need to be here when they're working, but sometimes it helps (like when they tripped the circuit breaker a few days ago... or when they wanted me to decide the exact placement of the staircase). So I try not to be gone for very long when they're here. Yesterday was Saturday, though, so I took the kids and ran errands. My big goal was to find something to put on our now-empty living room wall (more on that in a sec). I dragged the kids to the mall, but we left empty-handed. They didn't mind, though, because I let them go on a few of the cheesy little rides. Then, in the afternoon, the natives were getting restless. They were bouncing off the walls. We could have probably gone outside, but it was cold, and I didn't want to. It suddenly occurred to me that the bounce house would probably fit in our living room, now that the armoire was gone (hence the now-empty wall). And... it did! They bounced and bounced to their little hearts' content. I went in the front room and sat by the fire, just for a little peace and quiet. And once they were done, they were much calmer, and everyone was happier. It was pretty much my best idea ever, haha!

But back to this blank wall... When we moved in, the movers realized that our very nice armoire (part of our bedroom set) would not fit upstairs, no matter how they tried. And it's true. We have two staircases in this house. The older one has a VERY low ceiling, and is also very far from our bedroom (lots of turns to navigate). The other staircase is much more open, but would involve navigating this massive piece of furniture around two very tight corners. And it just wasn't happening. So the armoire got left downstairs. We couldn't even put it just anywhere, because it was too tall for the entire front of the house (which has lower ceilings, being built in 1830). The thing ended up in our living room, completely out of place, because there was just nowhere else for it to go.

After 18 months of trying to sell this thing, and many sales falling through because of its size, it finally went to a new home on Friday! Seriously, I couldn't even donate it, because it exceeded size and weight limits for most charities. It had gotten to the point where I thought I would never see it gone! Anyway, it's gone now, and the living room feels much bigger. Big enough for a bouncy house! I, myself, was practically jumping for joy! Woohoo!

And, completely off topic... I spent probably 40 minutes looking all over the house for Pink Bunny at bedtime tonight. Maya actually went to bed without her, and I kept looking. I finally found her. But seriously???? Maya does stuff like this ALL THE TIME! Do you see Pink Bunny? I searched this room probably ten times before I finally saw her! And Maya had no idea where she was, of course. Is there such a thing as a LoJack for loveys???

No comments: