Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Kindergarten Orientation

Yup, today was the day: I took my big boy to kindergarten orientation! :( I really shouldn't feel sad. He is more than ready, and I know he is going to love it. But I sometimes look at him and I can still see this little newborn. Babies don't go to elementary school! It just blows my mind. The past five and a half years had moments where they felt like they were going so slowly, and yet they have flown by. I have a (soon-to-be) kindergartener! I don't get it!

Anyway, it went great. Between preschool and all the activities we've been involved in, Niko knew a bunch of other kiddos the minute we walked in the door. That was a relief! Our school district still does half-day kindergarten, with the option to pay for full-day if you want. And it's pricey, but still cheaper than childcare, which is why it's a reasonable option for families where both parents work. Anyway, they have two separate orientation programs, and today's was for the half-day kiddos. We weren't sure how many of Niko's friends would be in the half day program, but most of them were there! We do live in a community where it's the norm for one parent to stay at home, so I think most kids end up in the half day program. Still, it was reassuring to him to see a lot of familiar faces! It's sort of amazing how quickly everyone gets to know each other in such a small town, seriously!

At any rate... I sat and listened to the principal's presentation, while all the kids got taken off to the kindergarten classrooms to talk to current kindergarteners and do an art project. I didn't learn anything surprising. Except that elementary schools in California and Massachusetts are, at their core, the same. haha! Same basic policies and all that, only with different weather conditions. I will need to get Niko an oversized backpack to accommodate a change of shoes for when the weather gets bad, but that was pretty much the only thing I felt compelled to write down. And I got a classroom supply list already! I am kind of excited to go shopping!!

After the thing was over, and before we went to get Maya (who had been taken to dance class by Caryn), I made my boy pose in front of the school sign (which I have blurred out since this blog is public). This will be his school for the next three years! And then, in sixth grade, he will be back here for middle school (which is a separate school, but shares a driveway with the elementary school). He looks so tiny here! I can't believe we have finally gotten to this point! And, on a completely unrelated note, Gus took this picture of me and the kids on Mother's Day. I love it, as much as I love them. I love being a mom! And I have the best kids in the entire world!!

No comments: