Tuesday, August 10, 2010

My Mom

I took the kids up to my parents' house this weekend, only to find that my mom had pulled a handful of her childhood photos out of storage someplace. And I can see why! She had told me a few times that Maya reminded her of herself, as a toddler, but I don't know that I ever really believed her. I mean, the mom I know is a grown-up! And in my head, Maya looks like a combination of various people. I see a lot of Gus in her, and sometimes my Grandma Patty... it changes! And aside from the hair color (which is also mine) and the eye color (which is on both sides of the family), I didn't really see the resemblance.

Until now, that is. I mean, just LOOK. My mom is a little older than Maya in these pictures-- probably closer to Nikos' age-- but still! The curly hair! The big eyes! The facial expressions! I couldn't find a good picture of Maya for a side-by-side comparison, but it is SO her. It blows my mind!

It also amazes me just how much kids change over time. I mean, I would have never seen this resemblance 6 months ago. And who knows what the next 6 months will bring? But for now... Wow! I TOTALLY see it!


(the top picture is of my mom with her dad, my Grandpa Lee. And the second one is with my Uncle Kerry, who I also have a tough time imagining as a helpless little baby, haha!)

No comments: