Friday, August 20, 2010

Hives!

Well, that's something new!

Having been alive for 32+ years and a mom for almost three of those years, I can honestly say I have never seen hives before! It started yesterday when I picked the kids up from daycare. Bonnie said that Maya had a little bit of an interesting rash on her arm, and it was also on her trunk. We ruled out food allergies, since she hadn't eaten anything unusual, and thought it might just be a reaction to the heat (because it is most definitely HOT). It wasn't too bad, and didn't appear to be bothering her, so I just kept an eye on it.

Well, I went to take her jammies off this morning, and saw this:

The bumps were not there the night before, and they were really unusual. In the photo, they look more like bug bites, but they were not the right shape, They were flattened on top, there was no sign of an actual bite mark, and they had sort of a puffy appearance. So I took the photo, we got Nikos off to daycare, and then Gus called to make an appointment with the pediatrician.

Half an hour later, those bumps had morphed into this:

I could not BELIEVE how quickly the rash had changed! And I was scared, too, though she was still acting fine. Luckily, the pediatrician was able to see her very early, so Gus took her in. It turns out that these hives are most likely viral-- meaning that Maya has been sick (which is true-- she's had a cold all week) and that part of her body's immune response this time is to break out in hives. It's fairly common, I guess, but nothing Gus or myself had ever experienced before!

Anyhow, she should be fine. They should go away pretty quickly, and we can give her Benadryl to reduce the inflammation and any itching she might have.

In the meantime, I have come down with something, too... Let't just hope I don't break out in hives right before the first day of school! That would be bad!

No comments: