Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Busy Weekend!

I feel like I am just now recovering from my weekend enough to post about it... and, ironically enough, this is my last day of summer vacation. Back to work tomorrow, and all the insanity that comes with that! AACK!

Anyway, my weekend started at 5:30am Saturday morning, when I rolled out of bed and hit the ground running. I loaded up the truck with tons of food, tons of baby gear, shower gifts, camera gear, and my own personal effects, and made the three-hour drive up to Grant and Melissa's house to host a baby shower. I was hosting it with Melissa's two sisters, and I think it went really well! I was in charge of the food and favors, and I was really pleased with how both turned out. I mean, look!!

And my favors (I made everything myself-- including the lemon cake balls inside, which were covered with white chocolate and a swirl of dark chocolate. They looked really fancy!)

All in all, the turnout was good, and they got a lot of gifts which will really help them out. I was EXHAUSTED, though. It was a ton of hard work, especially transporting everything, but I think it paid off. Here's one last pic from the shower-- me, Melissa, and her sisters (basically her and all the aunties-to-be!).
Melissa also let me take a few belly pics before the shower, which I posted over on my photography blog. She is seriously ALL belly. It is amazing that my little nephew will be here in a month-- possibly even sooner! I am so excited to meet him!!

After the shower, I spent the night at my old friend Wendy's house, which was the highlight of my week! We had so much fun catching up that I didn't realize how late it was until my eyes started to droop. :) It was so nice to see her again after all these years. Wendy and I both started teaching at the same time, at the same school, so we have one of those bonds like what soldiers form in the trenches. It was a long-overdue meetup, that's for sure!

The next morning, I got back into the truck to drive to Gus' parents' house. His sister recently got engaged, and her fiance's family had driven out from Las Vegas to "meet the family," so to speak. Gus had driven the kids up on Saturday, but I obviously had the shower to throw. At any rate, I arrived, and then we all went to brunch together at a fancy local place (think white tablecloths and carpeting... I felt bad for whoever had to clean up under Maya's highchair!). It was nice and delicious, although the kids were definitely getting antsy. They were excited to get back to the house and play! Here are a few pics from the afternoon... The nice clothes were actually gifts from Bill's parents (Bill is the fiance), which was so sweet! I have to say, the kids (especially Nikos) really liked Bill's family. And I am pretty sure the feeling was mutual!


Later on, they changed to more casual comfy clothes, but (of course) continued to play...


And at bedtime, we made the drive home with both cars and I slept really, really well, haha!

No comments: