Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Thoughts on Santa, etc.

With Christmas only two days away, and our first big family celebration scheduled for tomorrow afternoon, I thought I would take a few minutes to write down Nikos' thoughts on the big man in the red suit.

In general, he is really getting into Christmas this year. He knows a few Christmas songs, and likes to request them. His two favorites are "The Merry Christmas Song" (which is really "We Wish You a Merry Christmas") and "The Reindeer Song" (which refers to either "Up On the Rooftop" or "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer-- they are apparently interchangeable!). He adores the Christmas snow globe I received as a gift from a student this year, and loves to ooh and aah over the "snow" inside. He loved making cookies with me. He loves presents. He loves the lights on the tree, and examining all the ornaments. He loves listening to Christmas music and dancing around. In short, he seems to love Christmas.

Santa, though, is a questionable figure. Sometimes he will demand to be picked up so that he can see the various Santa items we have out as decorations. He likes the fact that my Scottish Santa figurine has a toy train poking out of his bag of gifts. He loves the Santa riding a motorcycle, since he likes motorcycles. However, if a representation of Santa is even remotely lifelike, he is DONE. In the eyes of Nikos, that is NOT OKAY. He freaks out, saying "No Santa! No!" And forget about Santa coming to our house at night and bringing presents. Nikos' response? "No Santa. No presents!"

At the same time, he seems to like the idea... So we will see. This evening, after his bath, we asked him who was coming to see him tomorrow. We expected him to name the various relatives we will see, but he shouted out, "SANTA!!!!!!" And, not wanting to correct him, I asked, "And what is Santa bringing?" His response: "PRESENTS!!!" Gotta love that kid. :)

On a side note, we had a fun conversation this morning. Maya was napping, and I had him out in the garage with me while I was doing laundry. He noticed one of his old ride-on toys up in the rafters, and wanted me to get it down...

Nikos: I want yellow car up high!
Me: It's too high! I can't reach. I'm too little!
Nikos: I can't reach, either! (the correct use of "either" really impressed me)
Me: Bummer! I guess we can't get it, then!
Nikos: Go get a ladder, Mommy!

He had a point. And once he said "please," I got the toy down for him. Not 20 minutes later, I walked into his room and saw this:

Yes, he put the car on his bed and then sat on it. And when I asked him what he was doing, he declared that he was sleeping and that he was tired. Toddlers. Gotta love 'em.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

widiin featured tulsa integrating accrediting announcement noaas satire termination olrqw oasys
servimundos melifermuly