Monday, December 21, 2009

Brother and Sister

I knew that it would be fun to see Nikos and Maya interact, but I don't think I realized just how funny it would be! A few stories from today...

First, Maya had a rough night and then a low fever this morning. The fever has since passed, but she is still congested and not as happy as usual. At any rate, she was pretty fussy this morning, and Nikos kept pointing out that she was sad and that she was crying (thanks, kiddo). I told him that she was sick, and he instantly ran over and started talking to her in his sweet, high-pitched "I'm-talking-to-baby" voice. It was the sweetest thing ever! He kept saying "It's okay, My-My! Whatsamatter? You feel better? Don't be sad!" Oh my goodness. Could he BE any sweeter? Maya, who just loves ANY attention from her big brother, reached out to grab his finger, sending them both into fits of giggles. I so wish I had been somehow able to record it on video!!

A little while later, she was feeling better and the two of them were playing on the living room floor. Nikos had all his cars out, as usual, Maya was playing with her various baby toys. Sort of. She was much more interested in Nikos' cars-- mainly because anything that he wants or has is what she absolutely MUST have. Anyway, he knows this, and decided to hand her one of his cars. He placed it in her hand, then said, "Maya, say THANK YOU!" Obviously, she didn't speak, so I spoke for her ("Thank you, Niko!"). His response was, "I say YOU'RE WELCOME!" haha! Teaching her manners at such a young age. I love it!

Speaking of teaching... After they both woke up from their afternoon naps, I brought Maya into Nikos' room and the two of them played together on his toddler bed. She thinks that this is the greatest thing in the world, and Nikos thinks it's hilarious, so a good time is usually had by all. After a few minutes of silliness, Nikos flopped onto his tummy and laid next to his baby sister, who was carefully examining the boats on his bed quilt. Nikos started pointing to various parts of the quilt, asking her "What color is this?" and then answering himself. It was so funny to see him in the role of the teacher! I guess he really IS my child! :)

Finally, after they got tired of playing on the bed, the three of us went out and sat at the piano so that brother and sister could perform a duet. The two of them pounded away on the keys, looking at each other and shrieking with delight. It wasn't exactly a beautiful melody, but it was a beautiful moment.

Anyway, I just wanted to share. I love both these kids so much, but these are the sorts of moments I never really expected. The sweetness is almost unbearable! ♥

No comments: