Friday, May 8, 2009

Well that sucked...

I just went out to two local stores to run some errands-- just a few quick things we needed. At the first store, the checkout woman asked me if it was my first Mother's Day. I was confused for a minute (since I didn't have any kids with me), but then I realized: she thinks I'm pregnant. I told her it was my second Mother's Day, and that I had an 18-month-old son and a daughter born a week ago. And I left it at that.

So then I was in the supermarket, checking out in the express lane. The checker was the same lady who is always there-- and I swear, she never remembers me, even though I've been going there for years. Anyway, I saw her just last Thursday, fully pregnant, and told her I was having the baby the next day. Today, she leans over and asks me how far along I am. I reminded her that I had the baby last week, at which point she totally backpedaled and told me how great I looked, etc. etc. Too late- My face was crumpling as she was talking, and I was crying by the time I got to the car.

I know my belly will go back to normal size, and it's only been a week, but sheesh. People should know better than to make comments like that-- especially to a hormonal post-partum lady. That sucked. :(

No comments: