Sunday, May 3, 2009

Angel Baby


Well, it's Sunday, and we're most likely going to be discharged from the hospital at some point tomorrow. And I have to say that Maya is a pretty remarkable little baby. We knew that last night (night #2) would be the real kicker for us. She would have recovered enough from the trauma of being born to show us her real personality. With Nikos, this meant inconsolable crying all night long! With Maya, it meant that she slept soundly cuddled up with her daddy, waking every three hours to nurse and have her diaper changed, only to promptly fall back asleep. The three of us woke in the morning actually feeling rested! It's still too soon to call this a trend (and I'm afraid of jinxing myself by even saying this), but... She is such a little angel-baby! It really seems that she cries only when she needs something: food, a diaper change, or an adjustment in her blanket. But she calms down very quickly, and is just such a peaceful little lady. Really, she is what the doctor ordered for a second baby! I just hope she keeps up the great work! :)

As far as feeding goes, she is a natural. I think that my milk is finally starting to come in, but that has not ever deterred her from nursing like a champ. Beginning yesterday, we would let her nurse until she was done (about half an hour), then follow up with a small bottle of formula to fill her tummy. She continues to have lots of wet and poopy diapers, which is a great sign. The doctor noted today that she was very slightly jaundiced, which should remedy itself as my milk supply really gets going. But overall, we are doing fantastically well. I think that Nikos is going to adore his little sweetie of a sister, and I can't wait to see them together. I miss my boy so much!

In other news... I have to say that I feel mentally healthy! I know that's a weird sort of thing to declare, but I was definitely not myself for a while after Nikos was born. So much has gone differently this time, and I just feel so lucky and so in love with my little family. It's amazing how time and experience can change your perspective so much! :)

No comments: