Saturday, May 10, 2008

Mother's Day

I had a Big Thought today: Mother's Day is a big deal. Of course, I've always remembered my own mommy with cards and presents (Hi Mom!), but I have a whole new appreciation for her now. So much time and energy (and love!) goes into raising a child. And to have raised two children to become well-adjusted, productive members of society, well... that's no small accomplishment!

Anyway... being a mom has changed my life in so many ways. Just take a look at my day-to-day existence:

A DAY IN MY LIFE

1:30 AM Feed Nikos, then put him right back in his crib
5:45 AM Wake up. Brush hair and put on makeup. Make bed. Tidy up bedroom. Set out clothing.
6:00 AM Wake Nikos up and feed him while I watch the morning news
6:20 AM Change his diaper, get him dressed for the day, brush his hair
6:30 AM Hand Nikos off to play with Daddy. Quickly make my breakfast and set up my pump
6:35 AM Pump while eating breakfast and sitting in front of my computer
6:45 AM Get dressed, brush teeth, finish getting ready
6:55 AM Get Nikos into his carseat. Load up his bag with bottles of milk, a bowl of cereal, a spoon, a fresh bib, and a change of clothes
7:00 AM Drop Nikos off at daycare. Rush back home and make my lunch for the day, pack up all my pump parts, grab my purse, and then drive to work.
12:30 - 12:45 PM Spend almost half my lunch break pumping in front of my computer
3:05 PM Rush home and pick up Nikos before he falls asleep at daycare.
3:20 PM Put Nikos in his Jumperoo while I wash his bottles and all my dirty pump parts/bottles
3:40 PM Naptime! One of my few real breaks! :)
4:10 PM Nikos wakes up, and I feed him while I talk to my mom on the phone
4:30 PM Play time! We play on the floor together for half an hour
5:00 PM I take a shower while Nikos plays in his doorway jumper (in our bathroom). His happiness level determines the length of the shower!
5:20 PM Gather a bib and a washcloth, prepare a sippy cup full of milk, and mix together a portion of veggie puree and rice cereal into a bowl. Get Nikos into his highchair.
5:30 PM Feed Nikos solids
5:50 PM Clean Nikos as best as I can using a washcloth, then load him into the Ergo backpack while I clean up the rest of the mess. Load dirty dishes into the dishwasher. Wipe down countertops. Start laundry, tidy up, etc. Maybe cook dinner (on a good day!). Set up everything for Nikos' bath.
6:15 PM Gus comes home, plays with the baby for 20 minutes, then gives him his bath. I eat dinner, then prepare bottles and food for daycare the next day.
7:00 PM I feed Nikos one more time, until he is very sleepy. Gus reads him a quick story or two, and he's fast asleep by 7:30.
7:30 PM Conk out in front of the computer or TV
9:00 PM Bedtime

Whew, I get tired just reading it! And of course, that's just a weekday... Weekends and vacation days are so much more intense, constantly cycling between naps, feedings, diaper changes, and playtime, all the while attempting to run errands or do chores. Yes, my life has become quite regimented (practically to the minute!). Yes, I spend almost every waking minute taking care of my little man. And yes, it's completely worth it. I don't think I ever fully comprehended just how much my life would change, and I do sometimes yearn for the days where I could sleep in on the weekends or just go anywhere, whenever, without having to plan around naptimes and feedings. Being a mom is a HARD JOB! It's the hardest, most thankless, most important, and most rewarding job I have ever had in my life. And I think that we should all remember how hard our own mothers have worked to raise us, on Mother's Day and every day. HAPPY (early) MOTHER'S DAY TO ALL THE MOMMIES!!

No comments: