Friday, February 22, 2008

4 Month Appointment

We just got back from Nikos' 4 month appointment, and he did really well! He was smiling and cooing at the nurse and doctor almost the entire time, and just being his happy little self. Even when he got his shots (the same ones he got at his 2 month appointment), he cried for a minute or two and resumed his happy cooing and sucking on his fist. He fell asleep on the car ride home, and is still conked out in his room.

I had two main concerns/questions for the doctor, and I was happy to get some answers. First, I had been feeling really paranoid that maybe Nikos wasn't big enough. Since I'm breastfeeding, I can never really know how much he's getting at a single feeding. Plus, he's been sick with various illnesses for nearly a month and a half now, and his appetite comes and goes. But it turns out that he's doing just fine! He weighed in at 15 pounds, 8 ounces (70th percentile) and measured 25.5 inches long (75th percentile). He's a big boy! The scary part is that he gained half a pound since our doctor visit last Sunday. I had noticed that he was less congested and was eating for longer periods this week, but wow! Go baby! The second question I had for the doctor was about starting solids, and she said that we can begin whenever we're ready now (especially since he's a big boy and is obviously getting enough from my breastmilk). I am so unprepared for this! Our little guy is growing up!

Anyway... It was a good appointment! I feel so relieved! Now we just have to decide what we're going to do about this whole "eating-solids" thing... eek!

1 comment:

Alayna said...

Hey, I'm glad the appointment went so well! Sounds like he's doing great!

On the solids - we read a great book on feeding your baby/child long after we started M on solids and wished we had checked it out sooner. It's called Child of Mine: Feeding with Love and Good Sense and it's by Ellyn Satter. It really helped us let go of our ideas of what he should be eating or how much or whatever and just follow his lead. Just thought I'd pass along the recommendation!