Sunday, February 15, 2015

Sled Run, Phase 1

So the storm ended pretty much right as I was posting this morning, and then the sun came out! It was gorgeous! After lunch, Gus went out to clear the driveway, and I went into the backyard and became a human mole. Just kidding! (sort of...) The truth is, I went out onto the deck with plans of digging an awesome sled run for the kids. Except as soon as I stepped off the deck, I promptly sunk into the waist-deep snow. And if I was having trouble moving around in it, there was no way the kids would be able to do it! So I started digging paths. First out from the deck. Then up to the top of the hill. Then down and around to the screened-in porch (which is how we access the mudroom). Then I retraced my steps and dug another trail across the front of the chicken area. And then went to the top of the hill, where I began the arduous, back-breaking process of clearing a sled run wide enough for any of the various sleds we own. I wanted to make some curves and things, but I had to think ahead so that the run would end near the path I planned to shovel back up the hill. Anyway, it took a few hours, but I did it! And it works, though I need to fine-tune it tomorrow. I need to smooth some spots out and bank the turns better. But I did it! I am so tired, and in so much pain, but I did it!!!

First, a picture taken from our bedroom window. It doesn't show the slope well at all, but the uphill end is on the left. The green thing is the sled run, and the pink lines are all the trails I dug.
And then a quick video. We have a lot of snow. A LOT. But at least the kids should be able to play out there tomorrow!

No comments: