Sunday, September 14, 2014

Life Goes On!

Before I get into this long-overdue blog post, I want to wish a very happy fourth birthday to my favorite nephew in the whole wide world (until nephew #2 arrives, hehe), Colton! We love you so much and wish we could celebrate with you! I can't believe it's been four years already!

Anyway... Life has been busy, as expected! As I type this, it's Sunday night. I should be feeling relaxed and ready to tackle the week ahead, but I just don't! I'm exhausted!!! And when will I get a break? Who knows. You'd think I'd have time when both kids are in school, but that hasn't happened so far. I'm always cleaning or working on home improvement projects (which never end when you live in a 184-year-old home). Or running errands, or helping out at the school. And before I can blink an eye, that time is up and Maya is getting off the bus, and the craziness continues. There is really no such thing as free time. I wish I could lay in my hammock in the sunshine for just a few hours. Maybe I will pencil that in, before the weather gets too cold. sigh.

But yes... The most time-consuming activity in our lives right now is SOCCER! Niko has practice twice a week, with games every other week. And he LOVES it. He had his first game on Friday night, and I was really impressed at how his team all worked together and how people were generally staying in the right areas. Niko even played goalie for a bit, which was something he was scared of! But it went well, and his team WON! :)
Maya only has soccer once a week, and it's done a little differently. They mostly just practice and work on skills, but they scrimmage for a little bit at the end. She loves it, though, because pretty much all her buddies are there, including Jamie (who is wearing a pair of Niko's hand-me-down shorts in this picture, I just realized!):
Yesterday, after Maya's soccer practice, we went home for a quick lunch and then headed out to pick apples. It was finally chilly enough! It feels too weird to pick apples when it's 80 degrees and humid out, which is how the past two weekends have been. The orchard was packed with like-minded people, coming out to pick apples on the first cool day. I took pictures, of course! And promptly came home and baked a French apple pie... SO GOOD!
OH! And I nearly forgot!!! LAST weekend, when it was warm and humid, we went to the fair! The kids look forward to it every year, and it did not disappoint! :)
But back to this weekend. This morning, we went for a bike ride-- Maya's first time riding on the Rail Trail without training wheels! She did great! Gus and I were just walking behind our two bikers, but a REAL bike ride (where all four of us are on bikes) is looking like it is in the not-too-distant future! I am so proud and amazed at how far she's come over the past few weeks!
In other news... both kids have very loose teeth! Maya has a bottom-middle tooth that is quite wiggly, and one of Niko's front teeth is so loose that it looks like it's in the wrong spot! So if you look at the pictures I've shared of him and wonder what's up with his smile... well, there's your answer! He hasn't lost a front tooth yet, but should very, very soon. The Tooth Fairy is prepared!

And that's what we've been up to! Both kids are loving their teachers and their classmates, and life has been pretty drama-free (not counting the ONE meltdown Niko had because he was so tired... but we've moved past that). We're very, very busy every day, but we seem to have it under control right now. Still, if I don't post again for a while, then you know why!

No comments: