Wednesday, November 13, 2013

The Verdict...

Niko is a great kid! We already knew that. But his teacher had nothing but wonderful things to say about our little guy this morning, and it felt pretty awesome! He is ahead of the curve across the board, and she sent us home with some additional things we can do with Niko at home to keep him going at his current pace. He's a sponge right now! She's also going to start with him on the first grade sight words, since he knows all the kindergarten ones. And she wants to put together a small group of about 3 kids to do some enrichment activities. AND she asked me if I would be willing to come in and facilitate the small group a few times a week, provided she hands me the activities and does the prep. AND I can bring Maya with me! Um, yes!!! I really, truly love volunteering at his school, and I feel like it's been sort of hard to get my foot in the door there. But I've been assertive, and am involved in the school's PTO and all that. And now I have a regular gig reading to his class when they go to the library. I am fairly certain I am the only parent in the class who volunteers. And I can see why-- it would be very intimidating to most new kindergarten parents. I'm not intimidated because elementary school is my domain!! haha! But yes. I've told his teacher since day one that I would love to help out in the classroom, but now she knows/trusts me. I'm in! Yeah!!!

On a related note... I know some of my old teacher buddies read this blog from time to time, and they will appreciate this! Schools here are laid out so differently than they are in California! Sure, that's a gross generalization, but there are some very MAJOR differences between the two places that affect how a school is designed. The big one is the weather, obviously. Southern California = nice weather most of the time = covered breezeways and lots of open, outdoor space. Massachusetts = snow. Haha! But the school is a maze of very long hallways, all completely indoors, with coatrooms and large multipurpose rooms. To get into the school at any time, you have to be buzzed in at the front door, and you have to check in at the front desk and show your volunteer badge. In California, parents could walk their kids to class every day if they wanted to. And they would be let onto the campus just before the bell rang at the end of the day. This meant that there was a lot of contact between parents and teachers-- sometimes daily. Here? Forget it! If you pick up your kid at school, you must stay in your vehicle in the pick-up lane outside. No going inside. Most kids ride the buses, though, so it's not an issue. But the school is locked up pretty tightly! It's great from a safety point of view!

However, the only way I've developed a relationship with Niko's teacher is by volunteering at the school-- first through the PTO and now in the library. I am sure there are plenty of parents who can't do that, though, and they may have only just met the teacher at their parent-teacher conference. That is so weird to me! And I am just so happy that I am able to do this! I cannot imagine not knowing my kid's teacher!

Anyway, that's all! The boy is doing awesome. Best of all, he is a great role model for the other kids. Atta boy, Niko!!!!

No comments: