Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Snow and Sickness

Today's post is brought to you by the letter S!

Maya and I have both been knocked down by the cold that Nikos had last week, which he so generously shared with us. I feel horrible, but I think Maya has it the worst. Poor thing! I kept her home from preschool yesterday, even. And she didn't even fight me on it-- surprising, considering how much she loves school! But she's exhausted and stuffed up and just generally unwell. The good news is that she seems to be on the upswing. We're actually going to go to dance class this morning. Her nose isn't running nonstop like it has for the past few days, so this is promising!

Anyway... she and I had a nice morning together yesterday, while Nikos was at preschool. She colored in her new coloring book, and I cleaned up the kitchen. Then she told me that she wanted to wear her purple summer dress, and said I could take her picture. So random! But I am in love with this photo. It's so Maya! I did, however, have to Photoshop her poor nose, which is red from being wiped so many times. Poor, sweet girl!

Later, after lunch, I finally mustered up enough energy to take the kids outside. Maya seemed to be feeling a bit better, and I knew we needed to take advantage of the perfect conditions. The snow that fell in the blizzard was very light and powdery. Great for shoveling, but horrible for sledding, snowmen, snowballs, or even walking. Nikos couldn't walk in it at all! But we have had a few "warm" days since then (in the 40s!), as well as some rain. So the depth of the snow has decreased dramatically, and it's also much more wet/sticky. Perfect for playing in! And since it was almost 40 degrees outside yesterday (again, that feels WARM to us!), I really wanted to get the kids out for a bit to enjoy it. We didn't stay out too long, but we got in some good sledding runs, and I built an awesome snowman!

It was fun! I practically collapsed from exhaustion when we came back in, but it was worth it. I'm really proud of my snowman, haha! I kind of want to try to make an even bigger one... maybe this afternoon! :)

No comments: