Thursday, August 9, 2012

He can read!!

Well, it's a little premature to say that, but I just wanted to take a minute to talk about how proud I am of our big boy! Many moons ago (when he turned three, haha), I purchased the first 40 lessons of the Headsprout early reading program. This was after my very old friend, Alayna, and her partner had done the program with their son and had great things to say about it. I checked it out myself, and I knew it was the thing for us!

Nikos, however, was not ready when he was three. So we didn't push it, ever. I want reading to be fun for him, and I knew he would do it when he was ready. Well, I guess he's ready! In the past week or so, he's gone from lesson 4 (where he had stayed for the longest time) to lesson 19!! He is SO into it, and begs to do his reading lessons on my computer. And how can you say no to that?

The kicker was this afternoon, when he finished up a lesson and had to read a few short sentences. He did it EASILY (fluently!!), and then had no problem selecting the picture that went along with the sentences. And when I told him he should be proud of himself, he was just BEAMING. I was so proud! I love that he is loving his reading lessons-- and am so excited for all the doors this will open for him! He's already trying to read the "environmental print" everywhere we go, and with some success. He blows my mind! And, bonus: Maya loves watching him do his lessons, and is learning some things, too!

HOORAY for reading!!! :) :)
----------------------
On a totally different note, we picked blueberries today and then played in Caryn's new bounce house. The kids were in heaven!!

1 comment:

Alayna said...

Yay!! Hooray for Nikos and Headsprout!!