Friday, July 29, 2011

The Packing Begins!

It actually makes my stomach hurt to think about packing right now. Much like how my gut was all twisted when my wonderful friend/coworker (hi Angie!) threw me a lovely going-away party back in June, before we had a single plan nailed down. It's a matter of counting chickens before they hatch, and it makes me very, very uneasy.

At the same time... it is inevitable that we will be moving, at some point, and there are certainly plenty of things that we will not need between now and then. And, since we came home to find tons of boxes neatly stacked in our driveway (courtesy of my former coworker who moved in up the street), it seemed like the time to get started.

For someone who has packed/moved classrooms several times in the past few years, you would think I would understand this whole process by now... But it never ceases to amaze me just how many boxes a person needs! I filled ten boxes alone from the two bookcases in our living room. The majority of our wedding china and crystal pieces took up three more. And then there was another large box containing various decorative items from one of the glass cupboards in our entertainment center. That's fourteen boxes so far, and the change is not even noticeable! When you look at it that way, it gets kind of overwhelming. Thankfully, one of the movers we got an estimate from a few months ago had all sorts of helpful tips that he shared. Like getting a big wardrobe box, dropping in as many of the "big" kid toys as possible, then dropping in a bunch of the tiny toys to pack them in. That's doable! And we can load our armoire with as much clothing as we want, because they will move it that way.

Anyway, I'm not going to go too crazy, since I have no idea what our future holds. But I don't know. I have a really good feeling about this second house that I never had the first time around. Gus and I have talked about it, and it was kind of like everything happened for a reason, and that we were meant to find it. I mean, think about it...
  • When we signed the contract for house #1, the expiration date was July 15th. We didn't do any house hunting after that, though I did always ready my nightly real estate emails to see if there was anything interesting. Occasionally, there was, but nothing to change my mind.
  • July 15th came and went. My personality tends to be on the paranoid side. Gus planned a business trip to MA, and I insisted on going along to look at other houses and determine the backup plan. We weren't sure what the dates would be, since he had a few other trips to work around, but we decided on July 22nd-26th.
  • On July 21st, I got my nightly email with a house that made me go "Whoa!" It had JUST dropped down into our price range that day. I emailed our realtor instantly and asked her to add it to the list. Totally an impulse, because it sounded so good in the listing... I was worried about the location, though.
  • On Sunday, we were out looking at houses. Our realtor told us that she wasn't sure we would like the Main Street location, since it wasn't like the other (very private) roads we were looking on. We very nearly decided to skip it. We took longer at the house before it, and were planning to just drive by.
  • We pulled into the driveway, and Gus and I both said we wanted to go inside at basically the same time. And we both loved it right away, which never happens!


In other words, a whole series of events happened that brought us to this house at exactly the right time. We couldn't have bought it 6 months ago. We didn't even know about it until the day before our trip. And yet here we are, with an accepted offer as we prepare to move forward on yet ANOTHER short sale (sigh).

I don't think the first house is going to work out, for a whole host of reasons. It's just become shady all around. But I am excited that this second house will be "the one," and that things will work out the way they are supposed to, in the end. And until then... I will pack unnecessary items and dream about paint colors! Cross your fingers!

No comments: