Friday, November 16, 2007

Getting Better All the Time

Ok, now I have the Beatles song stuck in my head!! But the truth is that things ARE getting better all the time (better, better, behh-tter!), and that's a great thing! We've had two pretty good days in a row, and I think I'm starting to "read" Nikos a little better and get a handle on what he's asking me for. So far today, he's taken two really great naps (40 minutes and 90 minutes), and is currently 20 minutes into another one. He's actually been eating at the "right" intervals (2-3 hours), which has ME feeling a LOT better! Before, I think I was confusing his "I'm hungry" cry with his "I'm tired" cry, so I was constantly feeding him (and watching him fall asleep on me partway through... only to wake up hungry later). As cheesy as it sounds, the secret has been this book: Secrets of the Baby Whisperer, by Tracy Hogg (and Melinda Blau). Of all the baby books I own and have read, this one is the least "scientific" but the most realistic (in my opinion, obviously). I have been attempting to follow the "E.A.S.Y." routine she describes (Eat, Awake time, Sleep, YOU time), and it's already made a huge difference!! I've been able to feed him, play with him for a bit until he seems drowsy (= starts yawning), then swaddle him and pat him on the back until he falls asleep. Then I put him in the pack-n-play until he wakes up (this goes against the book, which says I need to put him down "drowsy but awake." I tried that. All he did was scream!). And while he sleeps, I can get things done!!!!! It's a miracle!

I also took a bit of advice from my friend Kori, and was successful with it! I think that Nikos has a strong need to suck, even when he's not hungry. Refer to Exhibit A: The hickey he gave himself on his arm last week and Exhibit B: The hickey he gave my friend Bryce this afternoon as he held him. :P I wanted to introduce a pacifier, but he makes a horrible face and spits it out right away. I've even tried a couple of different varieties, but no luck! Kori suggested that I put it in his mouth while he's in the Baby Bjorn, because he's so snug in there that the pacifier can't really fall out of his mouth. And it kind-of-sort-of worked! He calmed down and was actually sucking on it! He still won't touch it outside of the Baby Bjorn, but it's a start... We'll try again another time.

Anyhow... Following the Baby Whisperer guidelines, we also had our most pleasant bath experience to date last night! The little guy was calm and actually seemed to enjoy it, for once. So I am pretty much sold on this book, at least for now. I know that what works today may not work tomorrow, but I am going to enjoy this moment!!!

And finally... a picture of our little guy almost-smiling. I can't wait until he starts to really smile at us (right now it feels like we just give-give-give and get no real feedback from him... what I'd give for a smile!!!):

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i love that picture! so perhaps a visit in december? i'm afraid to ask when you're free... cuz it seems you won't be for at least another 18 years! jk!