Saturday, June 6, 2015

BIG Changes!

A lot can change in just a few weeks, haha!

I have actually had a ton to blog about, but I have been holding off because there was one really BIG thing that I wanted to blog about, but I didn't want to jinx it.

MY PARENTS ARE HERE!!!!!!!!!

And not just for a visit... They are here for GOOD! They sold their house in California, put all their things into storage, drove across the country in their trailer, and arrived in Massachusetts this past Monday afternoon. They went house-hunting all week and found a house they loved yesterday. They made an offer, the owner countered, and they accepted. So, assuming all the inspections and the appraisal go well, they should be living in this house in about 6 weeks!
It's about ten minutes from us and, while I have only seen the outside so far, I can say it's pretty much the perfect house for them. The house is set on just over 2.6 acres, a sizable chunk of which is level and usable for gardens and whatnot. And the house, though it was originally built in 1850, was torn down to the studs in 2006 and completely redone (and added onto-- which you can't really tell from this picture). So it has all the modern amenities, but with all of the charm you get in older houses. It's one of a kind-- just like ours! Interestingly enough, it was remodeled by the same company that did our home back in 2003 (before the subsequent renters trashed it and we swooped in to buy it at a bargain). Also interesting? The seller is the principal at the kids' school. I see her almost every day. Such a small world!

Anyway, we are all excited. My parents are staying at a local campground for the month of June, and then they will stay with us for a few weeks in July (though we will be gone for two of those weeks, attending Gus' sister's wedding in California). We have seen a lot of each other this week, and it's been really great! They came to Niko's baseball game this afternoon, then back to the house for dinner. And they will hopefully get to come to the kids' spring concerts at school this week, too. This is like foreign territory-- I am so excited! We ALL are!!

But let's see... there is other stuff to blog about. I have been distracted, okay? And I've been obsessively stalking house listings! (they totally picked the right one, by the way, for about a thousand reasons!). Anyway...

We had dance recital preview day in dance class a few weeks ago. Maya and her classmates showed us their two routines that they will be performing for the big recital next weekend. I snapped this while they were waiting in the corner, and I just loved all their little personalities!
Then, I got to chaperone Maya's kindergarten field trip! We had a lot of fun getting to hold baby animals, though I was given a group of "wanderers." Every possible second, my group tried to scatter in all directions (not Maya, though). I was exhausted!
The following Saturday, our local Girl Scout Council put on their annual Dad & Me Dance at a local college. Maya was SO excited to go! She stayed the entire time (until 9pm) and was punch-drunk when she got home. She loves to dance, this kid!
And then it was Memorial Day! Our town does this day very well, with a somber procession from the town hall to the rural cemetery. It is literally a group of bagpipers, soldiers, and all the scouts in town.
Niko is the Tiger Cub (orange scarf) on the far right. Gus is there, too, but I think he's behind the flag!
At the cemetery, the Daisy and Brownie scouts throw flowers into the pond to remember those lost at sea. Maya is the Daisy on the far left.
And, all three of my scouts after the parade. :)
Then it was Book Fair week at the kids' school. Maya and I actually helped set it up, and it looked AWESOME! I have no pictures, though! And then we got my good friend Angela to wear the Clifford costume that Scholastic sent along with all the books. She had fun and all the kids loved her! Niko even stood with Clifford! Of course, he knew it was Angela, but I'll take it!
And then began the Soapbox Derby Madness. Gus (who is now the Assistant Cubmaster, by the way) cut out and prepped all the parts for assembly, and the Tiger and Bear dens worked together to build the thing. It was kind of crazy in our garage for a bit. But it will be done by next weekend!
And then it was Niko's turn for a field trip! I actually was NOT chosen as a chaperone for this one, much to my surprise. The teachers announced that they were going to give this opportunity to parents who rarely (if ever) get to come to school, and I was okay with that (eventually...). But Niko got put with the "cool dad chaperone" who paid for them to go on rides at the zoo. He had a blast. And a mommy friend sent me these two pictures.
The very next day (which now brings us to yesterday) was the Literacy Parade at the kids' school! They each had to design something to go with a book they had read. Maya chose the book she had bought at the Book Fair-- a funny one called "Nugget and Fang." And she got to carry her class sign! :)
And Niko... being Niko. He made a hat about the Magic Treehouse book, "Twister on Tuesday." And he also lost three teeth this week, which you can sort of see in this picture!
And that brings us, finally, to today! Maya went to her friend Jamie's birthday party at a rock climbing gym, while the rest of us went to Niko's baseball game and then back to the house. Where Gus announced that he was going to bathe Attila because she had a poop-crusted bottom. Naturally, we all gathered around to witness the spectacle. Neighbor Bill even came with his kids so he could take video to share with their coworkers, haha!!
Aaaaannnnnnd... I think I am finally caught up! On that note... bedtime!

No comments: