Saturday, March 22, 2014

Yellow Belt! (and other news)

It's been too long since I last blogged, which now means I am faced with a long "catch-up" post. Except I can't remember everything! Oops. This is why I should really just post more often and not get myself into this situation, huh? Sigh...

Anyway... I'll start with today and see if I can piece things together. Our boy had his very first belt test this morning, and he did great! I'd been practicing with him all week (alone, since Gus was in Mexico for work), and I think I was as nervous as he was. But he was very focused, and did his absolute best. We are proud of our little yellow-belter (if that's a "thing," haha)!
Let's see, what else? Spring started on Thursday. It still feels like winter, here, of course! It's been the longest, coldest winter EVER! But we are trying to be positive. We've had a week of warmish temperatures (in the low 40s), and most of the snow in the front yard is gone. Except, of course, the mountain covering what will someday be my vegetable garden (sigh...). BUT!!!! There are birds singing again, which is a welcome sign! We have started to see robins poking around on the ground again, and I've even heard our cardinal friend in the back yard. And, best of all, I looked closely at our front planters, and there are tons of plants just barely starting to emerge! Last fall, when my mom was here, she planted the tons of bulbs I had purchased: crocus, tulips, daffodils, and irises. I can't wait to see all the color!!!! Spring may actually decide to come this year! Hallelujah! :)

Also on Thursday, Maya and I went over to my friend Miranda's house to play while Niko was at school. It was in the forties, and we were all sort of desperate to get outside... but it was windy and felt really COLD. So it didn't last long.
Oh, but the theme of this week? Frozen, all the way! The movie (which is Maya's favorite movie EVER and Niko's "favorite DISNEY movie ever") came out on DVD this past Tuesday. I thought I had preordered it, but it didn't show up in the mail that day. So I called, and learned that the order had been canceled (long, really dumb story). So Maya and I hopped into the car and went to buy it. And I think they have watched it a billion times this week. I sing the songs in my sleep. We put the digital copy on our Kindle Fire, so it's on pretty much constantly. I won't lie, I love it, too. And "Do You Want to Build a Snowman?" brings tears to my eyes every. single. time. Gah!!!

Speaking of Frozen... if any family members who read this blog happen to find the Disney Store's "Elsa" dress anywhere (size 4-6), BUY IT! And then let me know! I bought the vastly inferior Target version for Maya for her birthday, but would gladly return it so I could get her the nicer one. But it's pretty much the most popular thing ever. I think it sold out online in less than two minutes. No joke. And the dresses are going on Ebay for hundreds of dollars! Insane!! I know she will still be happy with the one I got her, but that other one is just so much nicer...

ANYway... I feel like that's it! I've been a Mom Taxi, as always. I'm just biding my time, waiting for baseball season to start and for spring to actually begin. I've also been working on a little girl's 5th (!!!) birthday party. Busy busy!

One last thing, though-- our boy, reading this book for the very first time. His reading gets better by the day! He's already mastered all the sight words for kindergarten AND first grade, along with tons of challenge words. And his sister is not far behind! Woohoo!!

No comments: