Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Resolutions...

So... it's a new year, and time to make some resolutions! I made mine a few weeks ago, and have actually gotten a head start. A few summers ago, I decided I was going to do the Couch to 5K running plan. I was off to a good start, for a few weeks... but then we went to Las Vegas for a long weekend, during which time I slipped on a wet sidewalk and hurt myself. I could have started back up again, but I didn't-- it was too easy not to. And I haven't run since.

Anyway... My buddy Caryn and I decided that we are both going to do it, and we have been keeping each other accountable. I told my other friend, Miranda, about it the other day, and she wants in, too. The original goal was to do the Color Run in Boston in July. And that is still a goal. But then Miranda suggested a local St. Patrick's Day race. Which is a lot sooner, obviously. And we are signing up!!! ACK!!!! Now I actually have to train! I know that a 5K isn't a lot for "real runners," but it is for me. I am excited. And feeling a little nauseous. It's really going to happen!!

In other news... I have developed a shared resolution for both kids: they will be wiping their own butts in 2013! I am sure that this is oversharing, but my five-year-old has been VERY resistant to this. He had one bad experience over a year ago that really set us back. But after thinking about it for a few days, I came up with a new approach involving actual lessons on technique, involving peanut butter and a few of Maya's baby dolls. Yes, it is completely ridiculous (more so, since I had to examine all her baby doll's butts and find ones that wouldn't be wrecked with peanut butter! haha!!). And we laughed. A lot. But you know what? Both kids wiped their own butts today. They are fully capable! I am looking forward to a time when the only butt I have to wipe is my own. And, dude... Nikos is going to kindergarten in the fall. Time to master this skill, stat!

Speaking of going to kindergarten... our boy had his long overdue five-year doctor visit today. And he did great! He had hearing and vision screenings, which he passed easily (whew! he has two practically-blind parents!!). He's right around the 75th percentile for both weight and height. And he got four shots, but didn't cry! He said "Ow!" and was a little mad about it, but continued to hold still and let the doctor do her thing. I was so proud of him-- he really held it together!

So... now I just need to schedule an appointment to enroll him in kindergarten. I have already completed the paperwork, located his birth certificate, and now I have the medical paperwork I needed. I can't believe it is time to do this already! And, while I'm thinking about it, I need to get him signed up for Little League again, too. Oh, and ice skating lessons start this weekend. And Maya got measured today for her dance recital costume. How did we get to this point??? Oh my gosh!

But being busy is worth it, especially for these two awesome kids. Who played Guess Who? for over an hour this afternoon. I love them so much!

No comments: