Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Giggles and Good News!

First, the good news... I will have a job next year! This may not seem to be too earth-shattering, given that I am a tenured teacher and all, but I had fully expected to receive a pink slip this week. Given the current budget situation in Sacramento (thanks a lot, Arnold), my school district is projecting a loss of $15 million in funding next year, which means that they are doling out pink slips right and left. ALL temporary employees, plus 108 other probationary and tenured teachers are going to be cut next year. At my school, there are four of us who fall into the "newly-tenured" category, as we were all hired at the same time. After handing out the pink slips to all the probationary teachers, the district needed to cut seven more (newly-tenured) teachers. Those seven teachers were chosen at random, and one of them happened to be my coworker. It could have been me, just as easily. I am hoping that, in the end, the budget situation will get straightened out, and everyone will get their jobs back... but in the meantime I am so, so, so thankful that I will have a job next year. Thank God!

And now for the giggles! Because that's what Nikos does now! He has done a few giggles here and there over the past month or so, but today he really started going at it. He giggled a bunch for me when I blew raspberries on his belly, and he full-on laughed when Gus was getting him ready for his bath. It is the best sound in the universe!!! And a perfect day for it, too, given the good news. Everybody here is happy! :)

No comments: