Friday, September 23, 2011

Feeling Proactive!

I haven't posted about our move in a while, mainly because there's been nothing to post! And really, we have no update, though we've been told that a negotiator has been assigned to the short sale, some "good dialogue" has been happening, and we should hear something "soon." All nice, vague terms that we have heard before (back as early as May, even!). So... We're trying not to get our hopes up too much, though it's really hard not to!

In any event... At this point, if everything goes through, we will likely be moving to Massachusetts RIGHT as winter settles in. And, as you know, winter in New England is pretty different from winter in Southern California. Yes. Different. How's that for the Understatement of the Year? ha! Anyhow, it's okay... we can deal with it. We'll have central heat and lots of blankets. We will definitely fare better than the Pilgrims did during their first winter.

However, with that being said, we are woefully unprepared for cold weather when it comes to clothing. I'm not even worried about Gus or myself. He and I both have down jackets, and can deal with everything else. But the idea of my babies being cold is 100% NOT okay! So, after talking with a bunch of experienced cold-climate moms on my mommy message board (which I love!!! what an amazing resource!), I decided to bite the bullet and start stocking up on warm clothes for the kids. Worst case scenario, I will keep all the receipts and return them... But if we DO move, then we will at least be prepared!

Over the past few days, I've bought: a bunch of long-sleeved waffle-weaved shirts for layering, multiple pairs of jeans (some fleece-lined), snow jackets, and a few pairs of thick cotton tights for Maya (to wear under clothes as an extra layer). Both kids already have warm pajamas that should still fit. I just need to get them some snow pants, boots, mittens, and knitted beanies. But most of those things can be bought at discount/big box stores. Plus, a girl from the message board lives near where we are trying to move, and she says she knows of a great children's consignment store that is less than a 30 minute drive away.

In other words... We can do this! And my babies won't freeze! In fact, they are in greater danger of melting, since they both enjoy wearing their new snow jackets in the San Diego heat (though Nikos ran off before I could snap a picture). Crazy kids!!

No comments: